Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30, 2012

 Well I will answer your questions first since they seem to be important to the title of the email.
Q: Did you get the package with the Calendar in it? (I made it especially for you!)
A: Nope. I didn’t. Must be coming this week. Ouch a mosquito just bit me.... did you know that mosquitoes can bite through socks? It is really annoying and now it itches.....

Q: So did you get transferred?
A: Nope, like the title says, I am staying in Sabana Perdida 2 but my comp Elder Paez is headed for Higuey which is way out there in the campo. My new comp is actually my DL from the last transfer. President just moved him to my area. His name is Elder Lefevre and he has 18 months in the mission. It will be interesting because I have already done two intercambios with him so I know how he works. I was kind of hoping that if there was going to be a change that it would have been a big one but everything that President does, he does for a reason so I know that I am supposed to be with Elder Lefevre. So we will see how it goes. Supposedly I will have two intercambios this week so that will be interesting.

Q: What’s up with all the earthquakes?
A: Umm I am not sure. There are some churches here that claim to have predicted it but they are just crazy. Lots of Dominicans make up things..... let’s just say if there is a big earthquake, the whole DR will go crazy because people are already starting to go crazy.

Q: Did you know the church buildings in SP2 are all perpendicular to one another? There are 3 church buildings in your area.
A: Yeah that is because two of the buildings are actually houses and they are for the SP3 and El Cristal wards. They are building a new capilla for SP3 but nothing has been planned for El Cristal. The building that we are in is the stake center with SP2 and SP1.

Q: Can you send more pictures?! It’s been a while!! (Where is that video you were going to send ELDER?!?!)
A: Yeah that is because I don’t have any pictures to send. I haven’t really taken any but maybe I will send some of some missionaries in my zone. And the computer won’t let me send a video so I don’t know what to tell you about that..... you will just have to wait for the memory stick....

Q: Do you have dreams about us? Or nightmares about Tyler?
A: I thought I already told you that I don’t remember my dreams. But I do talk in my sleep in  Spanish... nobody ever told me if it was more impressive to talk in your sleep in Spanish or dream in Spanish... which one is it?

Q: Have you had the door slammed in your face this week?
A: Nope can´t say I have. It was just the old lady from last week.

Q: How is your Spanish coming with regards to church hymns?
A: Fine? I am not sure how to answer this question. The members really struggle at singing but that is ok because I really help because I have the voice of an angel.

Q:  Have you spoken in church lately?
A: Nope. I try to do as little in possible in the church because if the missionaries are doing everything then they are the ones that are learning and the members don’t grow at all. So that means in classes sit in the back and try not to respond and encourage others to participate. Try to let the members do everything that way they become efficient.

Q: Mom and dad are coming up on 24 years.  
A: I expected it. And I think it will last for a lot longer.

Q: Looking back on your youth, is there something you would have done differently in preparing for your mission?
A: Um I would have tried to help the missionaries more and I would have studied the scriptures more effectively. But especially important would be to help the missionaries because they really need the help of the members and the members can all find a little bit of time to do a visit with them once a week or give them the name of someone they can go and visit. But it took me going on the mission and needing the help of members to figure all of that out.

Q: Patriots or the Giants?
A: Patriots.... but only because as a Dallas fan I have to hate the Giants. I really don’t want either to win but sadly one has to win.

Wow I don’t have much time left. I’ll write a little bit more....

Ok this week. We had interviews with President but that wasn’t anything. It was super short because he asked me to talk about me and I really don’t like to talk about me so I gave him a short response. But that is just because I don’t like attention. I think I am the only person like that because lots of other people had interviews that lasted super long. 

Let’s see what else. Lots of lessons and we had a few investigators go to church but I can’t tell you anything more for fear of jinxing it. That has really been our struggle here in this area getting people to go to church. So many people will tell us that they know the BoM is the word of God or that José Smith was a prophet but they won’t go to church. No matter what we try and President had a very good example about investigators. They are like chicks that are trying to break out of their shells. If we help them break out of their shells they are going to be very weak and won’t develop a testimony but if we let them do everything on their own then they will be strong and develop into good followers of Christ. So we don’t pass by to pick anyone up anymore because they need to break out of their shells and grow to be strong members of the church. I just hope these investigators have the strength to do it! 

But yeah, I am running out of time so love you all and I will try to take some more pictures to send. 

Oh and tell me more about what you all are doing. I feel like I just talk about myself and that makes me feel boring! 

With love,
¡Elder Michael Coniam!
 
Elder Warren
 
Elder Rodriguez

No comments: