Well, I guess this week you are all making up for no questions from last week but I have a lot to answer so I will get to it right off the bat!
Q. Are there any fat people in the DR?
A. Yes there are fat people here but they usually aren't as fat as the US. I think there are more fat people here but less super obese people here.
Q. Where did you get that orangeish/pinkish tie?
A. I found it in my last house. Why do you like it?
Q. Is this the correct name for the prison: Lacarcle de La Victoria? Apparently this is the worst prison in the DR.
A. I don't know. All I know is that it is the prison here in La Victoria. And yeah that is what I heard too. When they had huge floods here back when it was raining a lot supposedly the prison starts to flood so they took out all of the prisoners and killed 6 of them because they tried to escape. I don't know if it is the worst but it is what I have heard.
Q. Aren't you so happy to be by the prison now?!
A.Yeah we live in a super safe area because all of the people that live by us work for the military or the police. So we have no problems here.
Q. What are some of the names of the cities streets where you are - like the church building? A.The church building is on the Jose Soriano it is the main road the farthest to the west you can go in La Victoria. We live in the Barrio Militar and we live on the calle tercera. The other streets are the primera, segunda, Juan Pablo Duarte, and well those are most of them
by the house oh also the cuarta. We live on the opposite side of the town of the church. The church is in the north of the town and we live in the south.
Q. How was church - what are the members like in La Victoria?
A.The church is brand new, it has like 3 years since it was built. This ward broke off of Los Palmares and well the members are cool. There are quite a few members with 20 years or so in the church but most of the members are between 20 and 40 years old. It is by far the
youngest ward I have lived in.
Q. Are you in the Las Palmares ward?
A. No that is a different ward tro the south of us. Actually if you remember who my comp was a year ago, Elder Paez, he is there in Los Palmares.
Q. Is the Bishop, Bishop Castellano or Bishop Reyes?
A. Neither. It is Bishop Meises.
Q. How was church- do the members help in this area?Do a lot come every week?
A.Well there are some members that help but we are still trying to get to know the members. It is kinda hard to get to know the members because all of them want you to eat in their houses and just hang out with them and stuff but we really don't have time to do that(not to
mention we still cant eat with members) so it makes it difficult. I would say about 60 or 70 come every week. Lots and lots of little kids.
Q. Other than hot water what do you like best about this area?
A.Well there is no hot water in this area so it sucks but I do like that it is really campoey. It has some really fresh air so that is nice.
Q. Have you done anything exciting on Pday lately?
A.Today we went to the Duarte and well I bought some brown shoes called Sperrys that are really nice. Also I bought some material to .make pants finally so that is going to be cool. Next week we are going to play soccer but honestly we haven't really done anything out of the
norm.
Q. You know I have to ask Do you need anything?
A. In the next package that you send could you send some of those packets that flavor water?
Q. How are you feeling? Alyssa is better but Brandon is now sick.
A I am cien porciento plus like President Hernandez says. Or I am really good.
Q: Have you got to see any baseball games?
A: Nope not a t all. We did see lots of kids practicing because we have like 3 baseball fields in our little area.
Q: Has it gotten cold there at all?
A: This morning I was really cold but I don't think it would have been cold for you guys....well maybe mom because she is always cold!
Q: Do sound like a native when you speak Spanish?
A: I have no idea I don't really hear myself speak.
Q: Have you been chased by any more dogs?
A: Haha yesterday we went up to a door and all of a sudden a big dog got up and started walking towards us and well it was a scary moment because it was pretty mean but he was chained up.
Q: Do your new neighbors have chickens?
A: Well to be honest chickens here are free range meaning they live in the streets. Before coming here I had never seen chickens fly into trees and what not but chickens do that here chickens climb stairs chickens are like super urban chickens here.
OK so I finished the questions. Thanks for sending me lots because it makes me not feel bad that I don't have much to say about this past week. It went by super fast. On Tuesday we had a normal day and on Wednesday we had a leadership meeting and it was weird again because I had to get to one place alone because I live in the middle of nowhere. But it was a good meeting, I thoroughly enjoyed it because I got to see lots of people that I hadn't seen for a while. And when I got back I did an intercambio with Elder Miller. He lives with us and is from
Nogales. He is really cool so it was fun. Then Thursday district meeting and friday we had an intercabio. I went to Lotes y Servicios and was with an ELder Shaw from Washington. It was a fun experience. Saturday morning the missionaries from the zone did some more cleaning
in the church yard(and we still havent finished it) but it was a good experience. Fun to do some chopping. And Sunday we did lots of walking and talking and some more walking and talking. It was a good week. This week I expect more of the same. A good solid week. But that is
it, I think. Not much more. But I hope you all enjoy the email and I promise that I will write next week!
Love
Elder Coniam or Conan the Barbarian (a reference that most dominicans
make when they see my name)
No comments:
Post a Comment