Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 9, 2012

(Michael's great grandmother passed away on Thursday morning January 5th.)


Well, first off, I got a call Thursday at 9:30ish from President Hernandez and he told me that Grandma Mouse had passed away. I wasn’t really shocked because mom had told me that she wasn’t doing too well and the first thing I thought about was how mom and dad went down there in December and I was super glad that they did go down there and see her before she passed away. 
It is really interesting that earlier in this week we were teaching the Plan of Salvation a lot, more than normal. Usually we save that lesson towards the end of an investigator's progression but we had actually been using at the beginning and so we taught it a lot more. On Saturday we were teaching the Plan of Salvation and the investigator was telling about someone in their family that is really sick and I shared about how my great grandma passed away. Immediately one of the other ladies started to ask me why I was still here and if I was allowed to go back. I answered her question by telling her that I know this life is not the end. So for me there is no need to go back because I know there is life after this. She quietly agreed with me. For me it was a powerful moment. I can’t really explain it well in words but to just know that death is not the end. That we have a purpose for being here and if we are faithful and make covenants with our Father in Heaven, we will be able to live with our family after this life. 
So I hope everything went well today. Oh and Elder Eickbush called me yesterday to see how I was doing and to tell me that him and his wife were thinking about me. Senior missionary couples are the best. So I am sure many good stories about Mouse were told during the funeral and I hope everyone is doing well.

So things I forgot...... I forgot to thank all of the people that sent me Christmas cards. Thank you everyone. I especially like the family summaries of what everyone did during the year.  Okay. I think that was all I forgot.. Moving on to the questions.

Q: How was the earthquake? Did you feel it at all?
A: It felt like I was getting a massage. We woke up at 5:36 and we felt shaking for 5 seconds and then we went back to sleep. I guess in other areas they felt it for a longer time or heard some shaking but I just felt it for five to ten seconds.

Q: Did they give you the opportunity to call us after you heard about Mouse?
A: Well, I can´t lie, so yes. But I turned it down because I figured it would just make me sad and distract me from the work I need to be doing. When I was talking to President, he told me I could call home and I told him that it was alright and that I didn’t need to call home. So sorry that I didn’t take the chance to call home but I figured it would just make me sad, so yeah.

Q: Are Tyler's legs too long for the missionary beds?
A: Yes, the missionary beds are small. I have to lay at the very top with my head near the wall to make sure my feet don’t hang off the edge. And the beds here are 10 years old, so yeah. But in October they said they would be getting new beds, so we will see how long it takes them to get us new beds.

Okay.  Now on to the week...

First off, this Saturday I had another intercambio with an Elder Lefevre from somewhere in Utah. He is our DL and just wanted to see our area. Our area is progressing well, but I will not tell you if we have any fechas because I do not want to jinx anything. It went well. I stayed in the area so Elder Paez could get out and go to another area for an afternoon. 

Let’s see what else happened in this week... Already talked about the earthquake, Grandma Mouse. 
Oh, another fresca story. We had a cita with a lady named Carmen and after we had taught about the restoration she began interrogating us, asking about our girlfriends, if we have kids, if we can come back to the DR, how old we are, everything. But I can’t help it because I am so good looking. But it is the reason that we use the help of members a lot because the women are less likely to be fresca if we have a member with us. 

Now for a cooler story. We were contacting in an area that we never work in and the first person we contacted was a woman that had received all of the charlas in Boca Chica and had moved here a few months ago. She already knows so much and so we will see how she progresses. 

What else?  A lot of rain this week. Here it is like one day with rain and one day without and then the next with lots of rain and the next day scorching hot. The weather is ridiculous here. But I think that is it.

 I don’t have much more to say other than I hope everything went well today and that Alyssa and Tyler have fun in school. Love you all and have fun this week. Oh, and I didn’t get mail this past week because we have interviews in this week.

Love me mostest!
Elder Miguel Felipe Coñiam

No comments: