Monday, May 28, 2012

May 28, 2012

Oh my goodness, it is weird to write.  It seems like it has been so long but it has really only been 9 days. Kinda weird this thing they call time. 

Bueno, I'll start with the questions like normal!

Q: Do you tie your shoes or slip them on?!

A: I just use the slip-on shoes so I slip them on. It is really nice. I think I will only use slip on shoes for the rest of my life it just makes life so easy!


Q: If you wear your D-Backs shirt do the Dominicans recognize it?
A: We almost never go outside in normal clothes but I am sure they would. Lots of people wear clothes with baseball logos so I am sure they would. In fact, the other day I saw a guy that was wearing an old Dbacks shirt like from the '98 season so that was pretty cool.

Q: Did the Americans show up for church last Sunday?
A: Yep they both did.

Q: Did you get out of lockdown? How long was it?
A:We were in lockdown until Tuesday morning even though we were allowed to leave monday night because my DL thought that we werent allowed to leave but we were.  It was pretty lame not much happened. Danilo Medina won and I forgot my camera but I took pictures of the victory ride that his group did.

Q:Mother Bird would like to know if you want anything?
A: No, I am good here.

Ok so onto the week. 
Sunday and monday we stayed in the house all day long and it was super boring. We actually could have left monday but we didnt know that until wednesday night because when you are way out here in the middle of the campo, the people forget about you. When we left the house on tuesday morning, it was really nice to get some fresh air and not have to sit in the house and try to study for 12 hours. We finally got to talk to people which was really nice. We did lots of talking with lots of people.
Let's see.....oh, yesterday we went to the other side of the bridge in El Seibo by the church building to a little area called San Martin and guess who the first person we talked to was....a woman who was visited by missionaries constantly when she was in the Capitol because her brother-in-law is a counselor in a bishopric and two of her nephews have served missions. Pretty cool. We werent sure of what we would find over there but it looks like we found a good solid family to teach. She lives there with her husband, two kids, son-in-law and two grandkids. She seemed really excited to talk to us.  I just hope that all of the rest have the same excitement! We also contacted a woman a week ago that was really nice and told us to come back when her husband was there. And we found out that he was baptized in ´83 and she didnt even know. Kinda funny. But it was also kinda sad because they live 3 houses away from the Relief Society President and Ward Clerk and a returned missionary couple and she knows all of them and they hadn't mentioned anything about the church. Kinda crazy but we will see what happens. It is surprising the people you meet. After talking to Hector the other day he told us that now that people know he is a member, they have started to tell him that they were members a long time ago and it seems like everytime we go by him he tells us about someone else. Really crazy. It makes me wonder what would have happened here in El Seibo if the people would have stayed active. We would probably have two strong wards here. It is something I have thought lots about since conference and Bishop Edgely´s talk because when one person leaves the Gospel of Jesucristo, it effects generations and generations. 

But let me get off of my pulpit for a moment and explain part of the voting process here in the DR. So we were sitting in a members house and a woman came up and started talking to the member about the people that she brought to the voting tables and how she saw that they voted for her party. And I was starting to wonder how and then I found out that she used her motor to take old people that ¨can´t read or can´t see the boxes¨ and she helped them fill the boxes in.... And according to the member it happens all around the country and nobody cares. The other thing that happens is college age kids go and ask one of the political parties for 200 pesos to vote for their candidate AND THEY GIVE THEM THE MONEY. Best of all, nobody cares. Here it is part of the elections.... Really funny because the group that lost was complaining about how the other group cheated more than they did. It is kind of a mess. But hey whatever floats their boats. I am just glad that somebody won and we dont have to hear all of the political campaign junk! FINALLY OVER!!!!!!! 

Welp I think that is it. I cant think of anything else. Oh transfer calls come on Sunday night so I could be on my way out of El Seibo....that would give me five areas in less than a year. But we will see. 

Love me mostest and hope you have good weeks!

Activao,

Elder McPhillip Coniam

(supposed to be activado but dominicans dont pronounce the d)

No comments: