Monday, April 23, 2012

April 23, 2012

Well, as you can tell, transfer calls came last night and me and Elder Perry are staying here in El Seibo! I am pretty excited because I like the area. Lots of good things going on out here but there should be more on that next week with pictures and a whole description of an event that will go on Saturday night at 7 but I don't want to jinx anything so more on that next week. 


Oh, real quick, We ate lunch at a pico pollo right before coming over here to use the Internet and it was super weird because I turned around the corner and there were two Americans ordering and one looked at me and then looked away right away.... It was really weird to hear them speaking in English because I usually only hear other missionaries talking in English but just a random thought that came to me. 


Let's see. I don't think there are -- oh, did you find on the map where I was talking about (where we live)? I hope so.   If not, tell me so I can try to be more specific!
Ok now onto the questions.....

Q: Show us what a Guagua looks like.  Can you phonetically spell it out in English for us?
A:Well they come in different shapes and sizes. Dominicans call anything that is a car/van/truck a guagua. But the true guagua is just a bus and there can be really nice ones like the ones that go to La Romana or Higuey from the capitol and there can be really crappy ones like ones that go from Los Tres Brazos to Gascue. In the capitol the guaguas that I rode in were usually falling apart. Honestly I don't know how Dominicans keep their cars running like they do. It has to be some kind of magic because there is no other explanation. The real ones look like a greyhound (I would assume) and phonetically it is gwagwa. 

Q: Have you had a Spanish Dream yet?
A: Yes and I dream about doing missionary work..... kinda weird right?!? I want to hear about Brandon´s dreams while he was on the mission.... I am sure there is a good movie storyline in one of his dreams.

Q: How has your sleep been since you have lights and electricity?
A: It has been amazing but the thing is that we went 6 days without running water last week so that was pretty intense. Luckily we could go over to a neighbor and fill up the 2 buckets that we had and try to make those last but oh my goodness it was an interesting experience. Supposedly they fixed the motor that was broken so we should be getting more water.

Q: Why haven’t you had dinner since the MTC? 
A: 1. Time, no time to eat. 2. I got used to eating a big lunch so it wasn't necessary. 3. There is no better dinner than oreos and milk!

Q: What are you getting dad for his birthday? 
A: I think Ill give him a call on the 13th of May.... is that good?

Q: Can you tell us if something happened….?
A:Yeah next week! Oh but the mission just opened up another island for the missionaries. The island of Bonaire was just open to a senior couple but now two missionaries are going over there. Two missionaries from my group are headed out to the islands so that is pretty crazy.

Q: What is your favorite video that we recorded for you? 
A: I would have to say they were all great and I couldn't choose one. But if I had to choose I did like the one where Ty went to pick Bralyssa up that was pretty weird to see Union Hills and everything.

Ok more on the week after the break...

Ok so this week was a good week. It was a normal week so that was nice. One thing that I do miss is leaving at 10am instead of 11am because since I am training we have an extra hour of study but to be honest I would rather be out of the house but that is the way it is. We met two other Americans this week. One is married to an inactive member that we are visiting. He is from Chicago and is a truck driver. He drives through Arizona (through Flag and Kingman) to get to California. He is pretty nice. And I was asking some guys for the name of a street and the guy responded to me in perfect English and I was like hang on where are you from and he was like Florida and then I understood because he had no accent. So we have had an American week. On the way over to the Internet center we saw a bunch of white people on bikes followed by a huge tourism bus so I guess it has just been an American week. 

AND I almost forgot...so as you know it is election time here (and if you didn't know now you do) and so there were caravans this week. Which basically means that all the people that support Papa got in their vehicles and drove around making a lot of noise one day and another day all of the people that support Danilo did the exact same thing so that was pretty crazy. Lots and lots of motorcycles with drunk people driving them it was a pretty scary sight but nobody got seriously hurt or at least nobody has told us yet that there was an accident. It was pretty interesting to see. 

But I want to send some pictures so I think that is all I wanted to say so I am going to send the fotos. 

Love me the mostest and don't miss me too much! Oh and Elder Rosado ends tomorrow. He called me last night so that made me kinda sad. But that is the mission. Elders leave and they get here and I just keep getting older.....

Anyways, love me much.

Firmando,

Elder Michael Coniam
(so firmando means signing like your signature but in Dominican terms it means going without taking a bath for a while)

Me at 1 in the afternoon after we just got back and it looks like I just went swimming so that tells you how hot it is out here!

  A spider that we found dead in the house!

No comments: