Monday, August 29, 2011

August 29, 2011

First, I will answer your questions:

Q: How was your week?
A: Good. We were really busy and found 30 new investigators. I´ll tell you more later and I sent a letter so hopefully that comes this week.

Q: Any baptisms yet?!
A: Nope. We have one scheduled for the 10th of Sept but none others. I have extended 6 or 7 invitations and every single person has accepted so they are just waiting to have their prayers answered.

Q: Did you open the GREENIE package? What did you think?
A: Yes, I opened it the third night because I was so busy and it gave me something to look forward to doing at the end of the night. It was cool. I have already worn the tie and will definitely wear it again.

Q: Did you bare your testimony today?!
A: Nope. I figure they don´t think I would be able to but I am totally cool with that.

Q: How was sacrament?
A: It can get pretty noisy but it is awesome like always. It is the same just it is the last class and everything is in Spanish so I get to practice my comprehension. It is fun.

Q: How is your church building?
A: The church building is nice. I’ll have to take pictures - I just haven´t had time. It is bigger than I would have thought. The ward is awesome. In our ward we have one of the stake presidency counselors and he and his family are pretty young. They are all awesome. I   haven´t met a member I don´t like yet.

Q: Any more bugs? We cringed about the roaches!
A: We killed a mouse in the house. Elder McFarland held it down with the broom and I wacked it until it stopped squeaking. The next day we found another one dead under the sink. I’ll try to send pictures.

Q: Do you need us to send you anything? Mom wants to know...
A: Need..... I don´t think so. But if you send me anything, Sweedish
fish would be good. My comp said that it can take a while for
packages to get here. He has been waiting for two and a half months for a package so that will be interesting. 

This is my address for letters:
Elder Michael Coniam
SDQ 4102
2250 NW 114th Ave. Unit 1A
Miami, FL 33172-3652


The other one has an AP followed by numbers, I think, instead of SDQ
with numbers. I think what you sent in the DearElder is correct for
packages but I really don´t know.

Q: Have you played baseball yet? Or any other sports?
A: This morning we had a zone activity and we played batella which is baseball with a stick and water bottle cap. It is pretty fun. We also had hamburgers.

Q: Have you gotten any of our DearElder letters?!
A: Yes. If you send them by Saturday, I should get them Thursday the next week when we have district meeting.

Q: Spanish getting any better?! We assume you are totally fluent by now.
A: Yep, totally fluent. >You know it. Not even close. I can understand more people now and it doesn’t sound as fast as it did at the beginning but I am still having trouble speaking it. I figure this will happen for about the next 22 months so I am okay with it.

Q: How are the showers?
A: They can be really cold or they can be lukewarm. Sometimes there is nothing better than a cold shower after you have been sweating all day.

Q: When are you going to send us pictures?!
A: I’ll try today!!!!!!!!!!

This week has been awesome. I’ll start by explaining a frustrating day yesterday. We woke up early because some investigators told us they would come if we stopped by. Since we are here to serve, we did it. We stopped by Sori´s house and she was pretending to be sick. We  talked to her and she was perfectly fine. My comp said that she has been doing this forever.  Then we stopped by an investigator family's house and they said they were too busy.... it can be really frustrating because every single person will tell you that they didn´t read the folleto or the LDM but they all tell you they will go to church. I don´t understand them. Anyways, church was great and it lifted up my spirits. It also helps that we had an investigator and her son come without us having to walk them to the church. 

Then the rest of the day went extremely well until that night. We had a lesson with Antonia and she started off the lesson by telling us that she knows José Smith was a prophet. I was sooooooo excited. Then she kept talking and talking and every time Elder McFarland tried to start talking she just talked over him. And she got to a point where we couldn´t even teach. She started talking about how people don´t need church because they are the church and it is a belief that lots of Dominicans have.  It is kind of sad because they can see the light in one place but are so distracted by the teachings of the world that they cannot separate the two.

Oh, yeah, and this week I had fritos, fried platano, and they were delicious. A member named Senya made them for us, she is awesome, she helps us teach and has such a strong testimony. It is sad though because her sons have fallen away from the church. We had a lesson with them during the week and they both seemed kind of zoned out. We tried everything we could to keep them interested but they just didn´t want to.

Another thing happened yesterday that was pretty funny. It is 
difficult to get men to listen to the message in this country, one of the members told us it was because of their machismo, but we were teaching a young couple, Angel and Dañia with two kids, and they had their kids run to the Colmado to get us a Coca Cola.

Before I move on, can I tell you the best invention in the world is the Colmado. It has everything. I can get my Corn Flake (no not corn flakes because they don´t pronounce the s) or Dinos which are these really good Oreo esque cookies. Or you can get toilet paper and toothpaste. And guess what, they deliver and they are on every corner so talk about convenience. Oh, I love Colmados!

Anyways, back to the story. They had their kids get us a Coca Cola and we couldn´t say no because that would be rude. They are awesome and they pay attention. I hope they continue to listen.

Now about the Baptism… It is a 9 year old boy named Luis Miguel whose mom and sister are members but his parents are separated and he was living with his dad on the weekends so he wasn´t going to church. But he is progressing soo fast. We assigned 3 Ne 11 for him to read, when Christ comes to the Americas, and he loved it. He is awesome and his mom and sister help out with his lessons so I know he will have a strong support system in the church. I’m not sure I’ll say much more because I want to send pictures.....

Adios. I love you all so much. Look for my letter in the mail this week. I have some interesting things in there that you can post if you want to. Updates: Marcos is doing better....see the letter this week. And I forgot the other one..

Anyways, I love you all and hope you are doing well,

Having fun and working hard in the DR LTB (Los Tres Brasos),

Elder Miguel Felipe Coñiam

p.s. I can´t send pictures because I don’t have my usb cord. I thought there would be a slot for the sd card but there is only a usb....

No comments: