Friday, July 22, 2011

July 21, 2011 Email

First off I want to wish Brandon a happy birthday!!!! Sorry I was late but you know the rules.

Another thing so I don't forget. How do you like my schedule? Have you tried to do any part of it? If not I don't blame you.

Thursday - Not much happened but I did write down a thought I had in the day. Our teacher, Hermano Clark, told us when we got here that when we pray to pray in Spanish and you will pick up the language so much faster if you only pray in Spanish. I took his challenge and have only prayed in Spanish and I can feel like the language is coming easier to me. I feel like it has helped me a lot. Of course eventually I don't know a word but then I look it up and I know a new word! I am constantly trying to learn more Spanish.

Friday- GOT MY PACKAGE FROM NANA!! The bookstore hadn't lost it! When we taught our lesson, or went to teach, "our investigator" (our teacher Hermano Wells) acted like he was drunk. It was a good experience. We went and tried to talk to him about our message and when he wouldn't listen and started to get more agitated we left. Normally we spent 25-35 min teaching but we were only in there for 10 minutes. After we left he told us why he did that. While he was in Argentina on his mission, they would run into 2 or 3 drunks a day. Investigators and inactive members of the church were often who they ran into drinking. He said it was the saddest thing he ever saw. They were wasting their lives. It was good to find out what we were supposed to do in that situation.

Saturday - I got the package from home. I got the papers out with tweezers and it didn't take me long at all...haha Tyler.

Sunday - We had a Fireside by Elder and Sister Soone. Like always it was great. They told a story about a missionary that moved from Japan to the US that was hoping to serve in Japan. He got called to Bogota Colombia and he was upset. He tried to get his call changed twice but President Kimball denied both requests. After 22 months of struggling to learn Spanish an elderly Japanese man walked up to him and his companion and asked if he could have the lessons. When they met with the man they found that he had been teaching 65 other people from the Book of Mormon while he was searching for the missionaries. So after all 66 people set up baptism dates the elderly man asked the Elder to write his testimony in the Japanese Book of Mormon and when the Elder opened it up he found someone else had written their testimony in it. It was the Elder's father's testimony in the Book. How crazy is that? It took 22 months of struggling for that Elder to be rewarded for his faith.

Monday not much happened. Got mail, taught, and played soccer. Sunday night I guess I was groaning in my sleep, because I am still sick, and Elders Cannon and Durfee thought it was hilarious.

Tuesday - We had a rough lesson with our "investigator" Samuel. After the lesson our teacher, Hermano Clark, brought us back in to talk about it....long story short we cleared everything up and hopefully our next lesson will be better. The devotional that night was amazing. Elder and sister Hammond spoke. Sister Hammond told the story of an Elder Peterson who served with them while they were in Bolivia. His story is pretty cool. He played football at BYU and chose to serve a mission and missed BYU's championship season. Sports Illustrated did an article on him and a few other players on missions and their responses would probably be cool to read. Elder Peterson said he chose to serve a mission because he loves his God more than he does football. I don't know what the other ones said but I thought that was pretty powerful. Then Elder Hammond talked about the Book of Mormon and the power it has. While in Bolivia he asked a congregation if they had read the Book of Mormon and not many hands went up. After telling them they should read it a 20 year old woman raised her hand and said that she didn't need to read it to know it was true she just had to hold it. An elderly man who was illiterate said that he just put the book to his heart and could feel its power. WOW! Those Bolivians were so in tune with the spirit. I hope I can be like them some day. Wednesday not much happened except more teaching.

Thursday – (This is why my email is late.) This morning we cleaned the temple lobby and I got to clean baseboards for 2 hours! Sounds boring... it was but, it was good to have the experience and get to talk with the temple workers and other Elders. Then we went to lunch and in my letter I will tell you about what happened there. I´ll just say I have to get my suit dry cleaned and it is not my fault... don´t worry everything is fine. Great week and they just keep flying by. Yes I play soccer every day I have gym Lyssa. I hope everyone is doing well there. I love you all and you are in my prayers always.

Les Quiero,

Elder Coñiam

No comments: